Wednesday, April 13, 2011

IDEA 3G --- How it fared ?

Hi,

I received an sms 2day from idea stating that 3g has been activated on my sim and i can use 100 MB of data valid for 15 days, being the bandwidth lover that i am , i whipped out my 3g modem and set upon the task of testing what idea has to offer.

I connected the modem to a netbook running ubuntu 10.10 netbook remix, on "speedtest.net" i got download speeds of around 2.5 Mbps and upload speeds of .5 Mbps, ping was also better than bsnl's 3g that i use.

To get a better understanding of signal strength and QOS etc I disconnected the modem from the netbook and connected it to my pc.

Mobile partner software indicated the WCDMA signal strength to 99% and HSPA signal strength to 97%, best i have seen so far.



To dig deeper I disconnected the mobile partner and started mdma, negotiated QOS revealed that the tower that i have connected to supports 8 Mbps uplink and 16 Mbps downlink, not up there with the claims of 21 Mbps but certainly better than bsnl which allows downlink upto 2 Mbps only.







But then came the biggest blunder idea could have done after such a good start, they deducted my balance after promising free 100 MB data, i don't think that's a good IDEA :)

So far i have tried all the operators who have launched their services in Maharashtra, bsnl is still the most feasible to use from a price to performance ratio.

Regards,
Ishan

No comments:

Post a Comment